Man suspected of shooting motorist in Georgetown believed to have fled country

via The News-Gazette

Vermilion County authorities believe a Georgetown man who’s wanted for the shooting of a passing motorist struck by a stray bullet earlier this month has fled to the Middle East.

Sheriff’s Capt. Mike Hartshorn said an arrest warrant with a $10 million bond was issued for 20-year-old Rod Al-Ruwaily in connection with the shooting of a woman who was struck by a stray bullet while driving on Illinois 1 north of Georgetown on January 16.

Al-Ruwaily is charged with aggravated battery involving a firearm, three counts of aggravated discharge of a firearm and possession of a weapon without a FOID card.

The shooting occurred around 6 p.m. and stemmed from a dispute at a residence in the area.

Hartshorn said the investigation determined that Al-Ruwaily fired multiple shots toward a vehicle that was in the driveway of his residence, located in the 1700 block of North Main Street. However, one of the bullets struck an unrelated vehicle that was heading south on the state highway.

A 28-year-old female in the passing vehicle was struck by a bullet. Hartshorn said she remains in the hospital, recovering from her injuries.

He added Al-Ruwaily fled the country after the incident and is currently in Saudi Arabia.

Comments

Comments for this post are inactive.